Welcome :)




Hello and welcome to my humble blog:)


My name is Daniela and I’m a 17 year old schoolgirl living in Zagreb, Croatia. Besides being a typical high school student, I have a passion for animals, movies, music and good food (only eating – I cant cook to save my life). In my short spare time I have between after school activities and studying, i can usually be found out with my friends or being bitten by our evil black pet cat.

I enjoy reading, Christmas time and going to the movies – its almost like therapy to me – and usually find it very difficult to introduce myself. Well, that’s pretty much the basic information about me in a nutshell.

Read more...



Monday, 25 March 2013

Why I want to study at Oxford or Cambridge (Pt. 3)



Here I am again, this time with part three of my not-so-epic trilogy on why I want to study at Oxford or Cambridge…I’ve told you quite a bit about Oxbridge in the previous two posts, so I thought I’d end my three-part list by stating just a couple more reasons why I think an Oxbridge education would be a dream come true…So here they are! What else, besides all the previous reasons, makes Oxbridge so unique?

Well, a unique learning experience is not all about academia. Granted, an Oxbridge student will receive an outstanding academic education, but he will also be exposed to a wide range of people and diversity, which is also just as important as academic education when it comes to building a person as a whole… A large percentage of undergraduate students are international (and currently representing over 130 different countries!), making both Oxford and Cambridge melting-pots of different cultures and personalities…So, whoever you are, and wherever you turn - you have the opportunity to meet some really fascinating, intelligent and fun people who have something interesting to say! Such a diverse community, which is very different from the one I live and have been brought up in, would teach me to widen my perspectives,  and help me gain invaluable knowledge about the world around me…It’s not everyday that you can interact with people from all over the world,  face-to-face!



Students who study abroad often return home with new ideas and perspectives about themselves and their own culture. Such an experience often challenges them to reconsider and strengthen their own values and opinions. It’s important for a person to be able to see things from different perspectives in order for them to solve problems and form an unbiased and informed point of view. It’s a very sought after and useful skill to acquire, not only for educational purposes, but for everyday life, so what better way to learn it than in an environment of unique and interesting individuals, each with their own point of views and interesting stories to tell!

Studying abroad would also allow me to get to know the English culture and language up close and first hand…Don’t get me wrong, language lessons are very helpful, but it can sometimes be a bit difficult to understand the whole picture and perfect a language when you’re only  limited to  3 hours a week. Unfortunately, textbooks can only go so far. There is no better and more effective way to learn a language than to be immersed in the culture that natively speaks it, since you’re then surrounded by it on a daily basis and are seeing and hearing it in the proper cultural context…I’ve heard so many stories and read so many things about the English culture, so it would be pretty amazing to be able to learn about it from experience instead of a textbook and turn all that theoretical knowledge into a reality.

Another thing, which is of a huge importance, is that both Oxford and Cambridge have a excellent graduate employment record. Employers recognize that Oxbridge academic degrees give students various skills as well as deep understanding in their chosen subjects which is something that all employers look for. This can be extremely beneficial when it comes to finding a job…Jobs are, sadly, pretty scarce nowadays and even highly educated and qualified people often have trouble finding a job in Croatia, so it’s important to have something that sets you apart from the competition…and well, an Oxbridge degree speaks volumes… 

Oxbridge graduates have the skill and expertise employers look for, as well as the benefit of at least three amazing years behind them before entering employment…They are prepared and professional which is something that gives them an edge in the increasingly competitive jobs market. Also, Oxbridge degrees have proven to be very useful when applying for further academic courses, such as MAs or PhDs, which is another one of the many bonuses of studying at Oxford or Cambridge…

Now that you have some idea of why I want to study at Oxbridge, let me tell you that the  list of reasons has been significantly shortened, but I think you can sort of get the picture… Now that you see how many reasons there are, it probably makes more sense why I decided to post them in three parts :)

Anyway, there’s just another two days to go ( I know, where did the time go!)...I’m actually sort of sad that it’s coming to an end :(… It’s actually snowing like crazy today in Zagreb, so it feels just like the day I started the blog three months ago! Once again, huge thanks to everybody for being so helpful and showing their support, you guys have just been amazing…Also, I’ve gotten lots of positive feedback concerning the choir and TV show! We had a blast making it, so we’re all really glad that you guys enjoyed it as much as you did…we even organized a big sleepover and had a huge laugh watching ourselves on TV! Seems like the cameramen really enjoy using the zoom option on their cameras…:P       

Anyway, the network put up both of our performances and many more on Youtube, so I’ll link both of the videos here and here in case you’d like to take a look :) Once again, thank you all for being so supportive and kind, thank you to each and every one of you <3>

Until later!